Serves: 4-8 ? | Prep ⏰: 12-15 min | Cook ⏰: 6-8 min
- 1-2 skirt steaks (1 will make approximately 4 pieces) slightly pounded to even out the thickness.
- 12-24 thin stalked asparagus (approximately 3-4 stars per piece of steak)
- ½ large red onion sliced thin
- 2-4 long green hot peppers (I will get the name of these for you)
- 1-2 Tbs olive oil
- 1-1.5 Tbs garlic powder
- 1 Tbs black pepper
- 1 Tsp sea salt
- 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce (preferably reduced-sodium – Lee & Perrins makes this)
- Canola oil spray (you can use olive oil or avocado spray too)
Cookware: Meat mallet + broiling pan for the oven + grill pan for the barbecue + large sauce pot or sauté pan to balance asparagus + colander + parchment paper.
Boil water in a large pot, add in asparagus and boil for 2-3 minutes. Drain immediately into the colander and set aside.
Roll out the skirt steaks on parchment paper. Lightly pound out the steak to even out the thickness. Drizzle olive oil over 1 side of the skirt steak. Using ½ of the garlic powder, black pepper & sea salt, season the oiled side of the steak. Then use ½ of the Worcestershire sauce and drizzle over the seasoned side of the steak. Turn the seasoned side over and repeat.
Cut the steak into 3-4 pieces approximately 3-4 inches in length. In each section of steak, place a slice of the sliced red onions on top of the steak followed by 3-4 stalks of asparagus. Gently roll the steak closed, pinch the open section together, placing it face down on your the broiler/grill pan. Repeat this process until you have rolled all of your steak sections.
Take your hot peppers and lightly spray with oil and place on the broiler/grill pans adjacent to the steaks. Broil in the oven approximately 6-8 minutes. 6 minutes for a rarer steak.
Note: if using your BBQ, grill over a preheated/hot grill, low to medium flame.
Peppers should be turned over, using tongs, halfway through cooking the steaks. Remove your steaks/peppers from the oven/grill and plate the steaks to serve. Place peppers on the side.